Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Book Review: The Grouchy Ladybug

The Grouchy Ladybug
Written and Illustrated by Eric Carle
Published by Harper Collins Publishers 1999

The Grouchy Ladybug is about just that - a grouchy ladybug. He tries to pick fights with all sorts of animals and thinks that he is bigger than everyone else. He continues on his journey throughout the day to meet bigger and bigger "friends." By the end of the day, he meets his match and learns to be a better bug!

This story is great because it is fast moving and it invites children to learn the concepts of time, size, shape, and manners!

I love this story because it is written very repetitive and children catch on to that concept quickly. This invites them to want to read because they already know a part of the story.

Here is a small excerpt:
At six o'clock
it met a yellow jacket.
"Hey you," said
the grouchy ladybug.
"Want to fight?"
"If you insist," said
the yellow jacket,
showing its stinger.
"Oh, you're not
big enough," said
the grouchy ladybug
and flew off.

Children will love it!! I love it!

Sometime soon I will do a posting about how Eric Carle executes his illustrations. Stay tuned!
I will be highlighting other illustrators whom I think are worthy. If you find someone you think should be given the spotlight, please let me know! I will be open to your nomination!

No comments:

Post a Comment