Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

My Reaction

I wrote my last post to "The Graveyard Book" without completely finishing the book, I have to admit! So now, I can properly comment! I cried at the end! I loved it! What a beautiful, spooky, yearning, funny, creepy, adventurous, perfect book!!! As I read my way through the book, I really began to identify with the main character, Bod (short for Nobody Owens). There was something special about Bod that made him so different from anyone else -- he lived in a graveyard since he was about a year and a half and was raised by spirits. Many souls in the community taught him about many different aspects from the time periods they lived. I thought this was a very unique point of view!

In the last chapter, I was truly touched by how the spirit world began to fade away and everything was changing for Bod. In a sense, life was gently tell him that it was time to move on and experience the world for what it is. Live freely and experience everything you can.

The last line of the book: "But between now and then, there was life; and Bod walked into it with his eyes and his heart wide open." -Neil Gaiman

No comments:

Post a Comment