Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Secrets of a Christmas Box: Part 3

Secrets of Christmas Box
Written by Steven Hornby
Color Illustration by Justin Gerard
Chapter Illustration by Gabriel Hordos


Published by Ecky Thump Books, Inc 2009
248 pages / 56 illustrations / for ages 8 and up



The Synopsis
Enter the magical, festive world of the Christmas 'Tree-Dwellers' , as Larry, a Christmas Snowman, wakes up after a long sleep in the Christmas box, to find his brother is missing. Desperate to find him before Christmas, Larry, along with his girlfriend Debbie, a newcomer Splint, and Larry's companion Tinsel, break the laws of the 'Tree-Elders' and escape down the tree and away into the house, to look for clues. Away from the safety of the tree and in the unfamiliar world, the Dwellers stumble upon a dark and sinister secret that threatens their entire world. Can Larry and the group make it back to the tree in time to warn the others, and finally uncover the truth behind the 'Secrets of a Christmas Box'.

The Review
This is a sparkling tale that is a magical adventure! I particularly enjoyed the fact that it had a "Honey, I shrunk the kids" feel. This gives the audience a fresh perspective from the ornaments point of view. I could just picture the characters on a journey across the living room floor.

I liked Steven's writing style. The text had a terrific flow which made it easily and effortlessly read. Steven gives you point by point in his story telling leaving nothing to chance. He paints a beautiful picture of a family's anticipation of Christmas. Sitting in the family room with a warm cup of wine or cider, enjoying the twinkling lights, aroma of food, and the total ambiance, makes me want Christmas to come early!

The book was written for children, however it was written to appeal to either the young or old. I felt there was something in for everyone. The ending was left wide open leaving room for a fantastic new sequel.

From an Illustrators Point of View
The cover art is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! I feel like I am looking right onto a branch from my own tree right now! The media chosen has been handled in quite a delightful way. The brightness of the lights on the tree capture the ambiance of Christmas perfectly! The personalities of the characters come blazing through on the cover as well. I love it!!

The chapter illustrations are spontaneous and very active little graphite sketches. I think they are perfect for the book. I love illustrated novels! In fact, I can't figure out why all novels aren't illustrated. The drawings were truly dazzling and supported the text seamlessly!

Overall, the book exudes those kind of magical Christmas feelings that you only get that time of year. I loved the book and I am looking forward to reading the sequel. (I can only hope they make a motion picture film!)

No comments:

Post a Comment