Tuesday, August 4, 2009

What makes a "Classic," a classic?

Not too long ago, I had the opportunity to travel to my grandmother's 100th birthday party. After the festivities, I wandered to the basement and came across a box full of my books from when I was a child. Memories came flooding back as I paged through the endless stack. I consider them all classics in my eyes because of the memories they hold for me. However, I got wondering what really makes a book a classic.

Some things in life are fleeting while others stand the test of time. Books are no different. The books that stand the test of time are the classics. They speak to all walks of life, cultures, and eras. Classics also contain an element of novelty. The first time an author discusses an important theme. Maybe it's the way the author describes the setting and the time period by pulling you into the time period. Whatever the reason, the book has the staying-power to stand the test of time.

That said, Where the Wild Things Are springs to mind. The book is flawless in my opinion. The writing is simple -- no more, no less! The illustrations and layout of the book are supreme! Did you notice the illustration frames start out small and gradually get larger as the story swells in intensity? At the height of the story the illustrations are at full bleed. At the close of the "wild rumpus" the illustrations shrink back to their original size.

WOW!! This is definitely on my favorites list.

No comments:

Post a Comment